Thursday, November 22, 2007

Google Scholar Citations in PubMed?



We have an excellent bunch of bloggers in the Netherlands. They are always uptodate and do not just scan their own subjects. I will blog later on about a 4-D anatomical CAVEman (mentioned by ZBdigitaal).
But now, I want to mention to a Greasemonkey Firefox script that presents PubMed search results with the Google Scholar citations (posted by Wowter). Wowter is again referring to a post by David Rothman, which explains in detail how the script can be installed and used.
It is one of Davids frequently used topics, as can be seen when you search for "greasemonkey pubmed" in the Medlib Blog CSE.

I think this is really wonderful, but I also seriously wonder if we should not put some kind of disclaimer next to it, because, on numerous occasions we have been warned by Peter Jacso and others about the dubious treatment of metadata by Google.
Also I wonder if anybody can explain to me what "80% hit"means ....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am the author of this script. I'm glad that you like it!

To answer your question. The "80% hit" thing means that a query to Google Scholar returned multiple results. My script will try to find the best match to the actual Pubmed entry, but since the way Pubmed and Google Scholar store their data is different, the match is not always perfect. In this case, the 80% means that the match that the script found was a 80% match to the actual Pubmed entry, and so it's a pretty good bet that it is correct. To confirm, you can click on the "80% hit" and it will show you all the Google Scholar search results so you can see if it matched up with the right one. When you get lower percentages (like < 50%) it is probably not a good match, and you should probably check the result.

I hope that answered your question somewhat. This script is a work in progress and the search results will improve in the futre.