Saturday, March 10, 2007

Meeting the Dutch colleagues! Medical librarians meet up in Utrecht

I guess there must have been more than 100 colleagues from all over Dutch medical libraries and it was really exiting for me to finally have a opportunity to tell my story about the "User Environment" for a Dutch audience. It is a bit weird that I got to keep this presentation in Romania, Iceland and Norway first. But hey, i am not complaining about this! It is great to visit colleagues abroad in simular situations, exchange experiences and share knowledge and ideas.

The topic of the afternoon was " Time for Quality & Quality Management for medical libraries". Most interesting according to others (because presenters could not follow any other talk ;-)was the presentation of Marie-José Lampe about "Marketingcommunication and libraries" br>
Furthermore there was a very good 3-part talk on searching, databases and reporting focussing on the need for good search-representation from Rikie Deurenberg, Ingrid Riphagen and Hans Ket. I hope these powerpoints will be online very soon too!

I had about 45 minutes and had to do the talk twice with a 15 minutes break. That proved to be too little and hard (the time allowed ánd the break ;-). You could also say that I made my old same mistake again of trying to include too much in too little time. Especially the second time, we did not get into the Second Life part. I am very sorry for that. Therefore I include the Slideshare presentation in here as well. It contains the Second Life and Livetrix slides. Just contact me if you want to have the original powerpoint!

I must really thank my boss Annalies Koelstra for allowing me to travel all over Europe, also coming year! She is all in favour of collaboration, communication and sharing of information between colleagues. I have been invited to give a speech at the Inforum 2007 conference in Prague and at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm August. My involvement with Second Life Libraries is giving me the opportunity to meet up with my us-colleagues at the Internet Librarian International 2007 Conference in London, hopefully in co-presenting a talk about this Sl Library project. We are busy writing a book about it, in which there will be a chapter on the HealthInfo Island project, etc..

In Krakow I will be giving two Workshops, one with Oliver Obst about Weblogs and Mashups Services and one about "Making Your Own Library Toolbar" together with Dorien Kieft-Wondergem, my CMB colleague. Who said life is boring?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Guus, interesting to read your slides and that you presented as my successor in 2006. I embeddedd your slideshare on the article i wrote last year, along with my slides.