Saturday, February 21, 2009

OpenSearch Plugins for Licenced Library Databases

Mycroft pluginsImage by Frank Hamm via Flickr

Just to make my own work easier, and eventually of course our patrons, I am working on a Resources Page for specific and general OpenSearch Plugins for direct use in the browser search box.

For licenced databases I am working on the url-string to include our digital library proxy access. Luckily I already have a huge list of library resource urls due to the Library Toolbars.

Search plugins allows you to do a direct search from your internet browser search box, without having to go to the database or search enigine first.
The MyCroft Project has been gathering all kinds of useful stuff at their site, including a search for OpenSearch Plugins. I could not resist in putting that into a handy widget via Widgetbox. You can also see it work on this Blog
It is not approved by Widgetbox yet, but it can be used as from now. And it it amazing to see how many Search Plugins there are out there!
Make Your (Search) Life Easier!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post! I wish there was more time in the day to review all of these new apps. I will have to take a look at this one later, but it looks like a great idea. It is kind of like the projects to search the invisible web.

Thanks for the info.
~Alisha